Archangelskoe manor. Versailles in the Moscow Region
Archangelskoye is the only architectural and park ensemble in the Moscow region, which preserved all the details of the initial planning and building. Landscape gardening combines with great architecture and interiors. The manor is a monument of a few epochs: it combines features of different art styles.
Manor Archangelskoe is a palace and park ensemble of the late 18th century. The manor is located on the bank of a former river-bed of the Moscow river in Krasnogorsk area of the Moscow region, 2 kilometers on the west from Krasnogorsk.
In the historical documents Archangelskoe was mentioned in the times of Ivan the Terrible, but under a different name — Upolozy estate. The name is connected either with the name of its owner Upolotsky or with landslides from a steep river bank. In a small village there was a wooden church of Archangel Michael, so it got its name Archangelskoe. It was a typical Moscow-area patrimony. In the beginning of the 18th century the estate was owned by Dmitry Golitsyn. He started building big two-storied mansions, opposite the house there was a huge garden, greenhouses were built on the bank of the Moscow river.
Prince couldn’t finish the renovation of the manor, because he was imprisoned to Shlisselburg fortress by Anna Ioanovna for the participation in the fight for the order of succession. The manor was confiscated to the treasury. However, in 1742 it was returned to his son, privy councilor Alexey Golitsyn. His son Nikolay continued the building of the palace and park ensemble. The prince brought a Swedish engineer Johan Eric Norbert, who built two dams in the bank of the Goryatinkariver. The ponds made hydraulic machines work. These machines supplied the park, greenhouses, garden, stable, buildings and a wonder for those times — fountains — with water through wooden pipes. In Golitsyn times the park turned into Versailles of the Moscow region with green parterre, alleys and cut trees.
The big building of the manor was built after the plans of a French architect Hern. On the drafts of the terraces in front of the southern facade of the palace there is a name of their creator — GiacomoTrombara. Two greenhouses were placed under the Moscow river, next to one of them — Rome gates (antique ruins were in fashion then). In the western part of the park there was a complex Kapriz — a small manor in a big manor.
In the beginning of the 19th century after Golitsyn’s death his widow decided to sell the manor. It was bought by one of the richest grandees of Ekaterina’s times, collector and diplomat, prince NikolayYusupov. He decided to «get everything which is rare and make everything better than others’» in Archangelskoe. He findshed building the Big house to place there his art collection, ordered a crossing over colonnades from the Big house to the library. Famous Russian architects were working on it. In the winter of 1820 there was a fire in the manor, so it had to be restored by Italian masters. Afterwards it obtained empire look. NikolayYusupov made Archangelskoe a united manor complex, reflecting the scale of an enlightened 18th century.
In 1831 Yusupov died. His son inherited a big debt of more than 2 million rubles, Archangelskoe was an unprofitable «entertainment» residence… Its owner and stewards tried to make some profit. They rented ponds for fishing; the botanic garden was sold to Moscow University. The best works of art and sculptures were moved to Yusupovs’ palace in St. Petersburg.
The last owners of Archangelskoe of the end of the 19th—beginning of the 20th centuries were an old prince’s great-granddaughter ZinaidaYusupova and her husband, prince FeliksYusupov-Sumarokov-Elston. Realizing the significance of Archangelskoe, prince and princess made their will where they asked to hand the collection to the state property if they die without heirs.
The descendants could preserve the art and sculpture collections, pieces of arts and crafts, and a rich library. During the revolution former servants of the manor started patronizing the manor and got a writ of protection from the Military Revolutionary Committee. On May 1, 1919, the museum of the manor was opened for visitors.
In the beginning of the 1980s a decision was made to restore the manor complex. In November 1985 the palace was closed for the visitors, the repairs started, but were too slow because of a lack of financing. In 1997 the government decreed that the cultural and historical monuments of the manor should be preserved, and Archangelskoe got a new status and an official name “State memorial estate”. Gradually the park was restored, small architectural forms were fixed. In 2007 three restored state-rooms were opened for the first excursion. The restoration of the manor is still on. At the same time there is a fight for its status of manor and the possibility to sell the plots of land in a conservation zone — lately Archangelskoe has been in the center of interdepartmental conflicts.
For adults and children
In the manor there are classical music concerts, jazz and blues festivals. New Year’s Eve, Christmas, Pancake week and Easter are celebrated here. Both inside and outside there are exhibitions of art, photography, items of the museum collection. To look round the park and expositions with no tour you can buy a single entrance ticket for 400 roubles (concessionary ticket costs 250 roubles). To visit the park you should buy a ticket for 150 roubles (concessionary ticket costs 50 roubles).
The tour “Gardens, palaces, alleys of Archangelskoe” tells the kids about the manor’s history in an entertaining way. It is possible to throw a school-leaving party here. In winter small children are invited for the excursion devoted to the traditional celebration of New Year’s Eve in Russia.
How to get there
By car: via Volokolamskoeshosse or Rizhskoeshosse until you get to Iliynskoeshosse, then ride until a memorial estate Archangelskoe.
By public transport: from Tushinskaya metro station by route taxi 151, exit on Sanatoriy station. By bus 541, 549, exit on Archangelskoe station. From Strogino metro station by route taxi 66, exit on Sanatoriy station. From Rizhskaya, Dmitrovskaya, Voykovskaya, Tushinskaya metro stations by a suburban train, exit on Pavshino station, then by a route taxi 31, exit on Sanatoriy station or route taxi 49, exit on Archangelskoe station.
Фотографии пользователей (0)
Еще никто не поделился фотографиями. Будьте первым!Добавить фото